Sunday, August 26, 2012

Lawn Jockey

I wanted to share with you my new little Lawn Jockey. I was out and about one afternoon and decided to stop in at our local Antique Mall. As I was browsing I came across this little Lawn Jockey. I've been wanting one for years since I first saw one sitting in front of an amazing home in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I truly wish I had a picture of that gorgeous home. The yards were immaculate. It could have easily been photographed for an issue of Southern Living. Standing by the cobblestone walkway stood proudly a Lawn Jockey (like this one). However, it was much larger and looked as if it weighed a ton. I instantly fell in love and told myself "one day" I'll have my very own. So you can just imagine my enthusiasm when I spotted in the corner this little guy. It was as if he was calling out to me.


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I have been wanting one forever, but just haven't found one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love him!! I've always liked them. I hope I don't sound un-pc or offend anyone with this comment as I only mean it as an observation, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was not an African American.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are actually correct. The traditional lawn jockey is mostly African American. The story behind the lawn jockey is really interesting. The lawn jockey is referred to as “Jocko” because the statues represent a young African boy by the name of Jocko Graves. Jocko Graves served under George Washington. The night that George Washington and his men crossed the Delaware, he told Jocko to stay behind. Jocko was just a young boy so he asked him to watch over the horses and to keep a light (a lantern) on the embankment so they could see where to return. However, when they returned they found that Jocko had frozen to death with the lantern still in hand. George Washington was so touched by his dedication that he had a statue created of Jocko holding the lantern. This is where we get the lawn jockey statue. However, over the years we’ve seen white lawn jockeys as well. I would love to get an African American one to represent Jocko Graves. He was such a great American hero.

      Delete