Thursday, February 9, 2012

Just the way I'm rolling these days


Last Friday morning I took a nasty spill while climbing out of bed. Yes, I fell out of bed (turning red in the face). I'm almost too embarrassed to say anything. We have a large King size bed and I have a stepping stool with two steps that helps me in and out of bed. Unfortunately as I stepped on the stool and began to swing my leg around it got caught up in the blanket and I lost my balance. I fell face first  and hit my head on a side table and ended up spraining my foot/leg. Thankfully nothing broke and it was all one leg. I've been housebound ever since.

The first few days were awful. I had to keep my leg elevated so I've been trapped in my husband's recliner. If I never have to sit in this leather recliner again I'll be happy. I'm also a multi-tasker so just sitting around thinking of all the things that need to be done is killing me. I've managed to read a few books and magazines but I'm itching to get back to my daily routine. Have you ever watched television during an afternoon? Blah! Nothing is ever on.

I've been lifting my hand weights from my chair and also started doing yoga with my good side. I've even lifted my bed leg and I'm trying to do strengthening exercises for my foot. Today, after nearly a week, I was able to stand without applying a lot of pressure on that side. It's a huge accomplishment.

My husband and I are the youngest by far who live in this neighborhood. All of my neighbors are elderly so when they found out that I had fallen they all began calling trying to push their walkers on me. At first, I declined. However, as they began popping over with casseroles (remember, we do live in the South and dropping off a casserole is like a religion down here) one of my neighbors brought over a walker. I absolutely refused to use it because I was using my little chair on wheels to get around. However, finally I broke down and you know what......I LOVE THIS THING!!! I can really move around the house without help and I can carry all my goodies in that basket. I guess I live in the perfect neighborhood after all. :)

3 comments:

  1. I hate you fell. My mother fell out of theirs a couple years ago and put your elbow through a window pane. And she didn't get a single cut.
    I hope you are getting around better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! I'm doing much better now. I still can't walk without the walker but I did take my first step today. I can't wait to get back to walking. You don't realize all the little things that become extremely complicated once you're in this type of situation.

      Ouch, I can't believe your poor mom put her elbow through a window pane. Thankfully she wasn't hurt. Hope everything is well on your end. XOXO Gigi

      Delete
    2. Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon!! I know those casseroles were delicious. You'll have to share what kind they were! The friendliness of neighbors is one of my favorite things about the South :-)

      Delete